1. The first tune you loved I used to be a huge Doors fan—had Morrison’s books of poetry, read a couple of biographies, had all of the albums—and I loved that song “Cars Hiss By The Window.” It took me a while before I gave up thinking I was the reincarnation of Jim Morrison himself although the thought still sometimes boils up.
2. The band that opened your ears. It came rather late in life. I was 23-years-old when I heard Bob Dylan for the first time at a cafe in San Diego, California. The song was “Positively Fourth Street”. That same year, I heard Bob Marley’s “Redemption Song” for the first time. I started doing hard drugs almost immediately afterwards.
3. The instrument(s) you play. I can play anything.
4. Your song. “Bitch Betta Have My Money” by Easy E.
5. Favorite song + band from your country of birth. Ever heard of Will Oldham/Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billie/Palace? He’s a genius from Louisville, Kentucky. Any of his songs will do.
6. Your Shanghai theme. “I’d Rather Walk Than Run” by Herman Dune.
7. The band you want to see playing live. My own band.
8. When it’s not about music… It’s about guilt-free sex. The best kind.
9. Your relationship with ducks. In Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield asks a cab driver, “Where do the ducks go when the lake freezes?” I’ve always felt that that question had some relevance that I’ve yet to grasp.
10. Your favorite spice. Please.