1. The first tune you loved… First was the music box I loved as a baby. I’m waiting for my Mom to tell me what the song was. Next was “Do Lord,” which my Dad used to sing to me and my brother when we were going to sleep, and the first recording I loved was “Stand,” by REM, which the school-bus driver used to play all the time when I was in Kindergarten or 1st grade.
2. The band that opened your ears… REM on the bus again, which was the first time I realized I could identify the band by the sound of the singer’s voice.
3. The instrument(s) you play… BASS!
4. Your song… Currently “I’m Glad You’re Mine” by Al Green.
5. Favorite song + band from your country of birth… “For No One” by the Beatles.
6. Your Shanghai theme… “You’ve Changed” by Carl Fischer and Bill Carey, performed by Bill McHenry, Ethan Iverson, Reid Anderson, and Jeff Williams.
7. The band you want to see playing … In Heaven: John Coltrane Quartet, on Earth: Wayne Shorter Quartet.
8. When is not about music is about… Books, food, basketball.
9. Your relationship with ducks… I admire them for their versatility, sense of humor, cuteness, and deliciousness.
10. Your favorite spice… 花椒 aka Sichuan peppercorn.